[open-science] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 08:37:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Carl Boettiger <cboettig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jenny, Peter, others,
>
> Thank you for sharing.  I've enjoyed and appreciated the links but admit
> that understanding the details can be confusing.
>
> So let me see if I got this right:
>
> Fiction: "Non-commerical license sounds great! It means no one can make a
> free lunch from my sweat."

Yes - and NC shows that I (the licensee or delegated peson) has their heart
in the right place.

> Fact: NC means the journal (by holding the copyright) retains the right to
> *sell* your work to pharmaceuticals, teachers, researchers interested in
> text-mining,  (rather than those groups having *free* use).

Depends who the copyright holder is. I suspect that some journals retain
copyright (we'll need to crowd source this study). If so you're basically
right. Others allow the author to keep copyright in which case your
statement would be something like:

Fact2: NC means the author (by holding the copyright) retains the right to *
sell* their work to pharmaceuticals, teachers, researchers interested in
text-mining,  (rather than those groups having *free* use). If these groups
wat to re-use the work they have to get specific written permission from
the author. Formally the journal is not involved. However it is likely that
this situation is not made clear on the pages of the journal and there may
be an impression that everything is normal copyright.