[open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:59:30 UTC 2011

Thank you Heather!

Well made points, really glad you have brought up such an important issue.

 I aired similar worries in previous related posts.

There could be commercial motives behind manipulating the open data
movement while actually pushing for royalty free data and content, to
 benefit *only* those who have the marketing networks in place, ie, major
shareholders of the intellectual property industry, who have the economic
power to generate wealth from creative works, and, as it happens, also
control over multinational information networks.

I stand by author's rights as human rights, and fully second your stance.

In the case of government data,  commercial exploitation rights should be
paid to cover for the costs of generating and curating their publication,
essentially meaning that the open data will not be a burden on taxpayers,
but a sustainable economic system.

Hope there will be opportunities to make a stronger and wider case
about this in the future

best

PDM