[open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Sun Dec 11 22:14:32 UTC 2011

Two new points:

Harvard OA policy specifies "but not for a profit". This kind of suggests that Harvard faculty have not agreed to give away their work for commercial purposes, doesn't it?

SPARC author's rights addendum: this is only needed for toll access publishers; there would never be any reason to use this with a publisher that is okay with CC-BY. So if SPARC made this NC, that makes perfect sense. If it were changed to allow for commercial use, why would the publishers with whom this is necessary agree to this? I think this could largely defeat the purpose of having an addendum.

CC, NC, and scholarly blogs - an emerging format that we need to think about, and would be impacted if CC were to drop NC. Someone please correct me if I am wrong: I assume that if my blog license were changed to CC-BY, then someone else could set up a mirror site, turn on Adsense, and keep the revenue for themselves. To me, this would be offensive, take away a source of potential revenue I might actually need someday, and quite possibly decrease my own blog stats - a measure that some of us might wish to use to show the value of this more open approach. For all these reasons, if CC-NC disappears, then CC will disappear from my blog, and I will happily go back to automatic copyright or a more restrictive license, as these would be my best options.

Great, and long overdue discussion!

Best,

Heather Morrison