[open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Mon Dec 12 04:43:49 UTC 2011

Comment and question for Michael below - best, heater

On 11-Dec-11, at 7:36 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, Heather Morrison wrote:
>
>> Two comments (capitals are just a formatting thing, I'm not angry!)
>>
>> COPYRIGHT DOES NOT COVER IDEAS
>>
>> It sounds to me like you are making a common mistake, assuming that
>> copyright applies to ideas. Please correct me if I am wrong about
>> this.
>
> I'm well aware copyright law isn't intended to apply to ideas.  The
> intent of my remark was to summarize part of the reason I am broadly
> in favour of the general principle that publicly funded science
> should be open science. The use of non-NC licenses seems to me to
> follow as a very specific instance of this broad general principle.
> I hope that clarifies the intent of my remarks.

Comment: this does clarify your intent - and it is a noble intent -
with respect to this one issue. I don't agree that the one follows
from the other, except in a simplistic sense.

Question for you: your comments here are on publicly funded science.
The discussion on the list has been about scholarly publishing CC
licensing in general - what I understand as a plan to pressure all OA
publishers to adopt CC-BY licenses, as well as about eliminating the
NC option from CC licensing. Can you comment on these two broader
issues? Do you have an intent here, and if so, what is it?