[open-science] Open Peer Review

Ulrich Herb u.herb at scinoptica.com
Mon Dec 12 07:11:31 UTC 2011

Dear Carl,

> Very interesting thread.  Sounds like open peer review can mean a lot of
> different things - perhaps better terminology is needed?

Absolutely, in an article (being published in February, unfortunately in
German language) I tried to differentiate this phenomenon a little. To
my mind there are several dimensions of openness in open review:
at what state of matureness a document and its review are made openly
available? at the the end of a closed and traditional peer review? or
immediately after submission and after surviving the desk reject (which
also means that the review will be available immediately)? will the
peers be anonymous or non-anonymous, are they allowed to opt? who may
contribute comments or act as a peer (everyone, registered users,
selected peers)? how interactive will the review be (binary or
discursive)?

perhaps this might also be of interest in this context: repec started a
trial with a peer review showroom: http://peerreview.repec.org/

and another thing one might think about (perhaps some does already; I am
not quite sure about the state of the art at that point): how can we
make reviews not only openly available but also include them into the
oai-data? perhaps we could consider articles and reviews compound
objects according to oai-ore or as distinct scientific publications.

best

Ulrich

--
Postfach 10 13 13