[open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 14:12:22 UTC 2011

Thanks Chris,
This is very useful and very authoritative. The work of the DCC is hard and
appreciated.
I'll excerpt small parts for comment.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Chris Rusbridge <
c.rusbridge at googlemail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the DCC's work has been widely re-used. We were and
> the DCC probably still is pretty liberal as to what we considered
> commercial, so many of the activities that Peter M-R talks about we would
> have been happy to accept. But you would have had to ask, which rules out
> automated use.

This is the key point. If humans are involved then many activities can be
carried out manually. It is the automation that is the great promise of the
electronic age.

> By the time I left last year, the DCC had not earned any income from this
> source, and I was rather sceptical that we ever would.
>
> Yes. Most of what academia earns is negligible. There are some groups that
create viable patents, vastly more who don't and the profitability of
tech-transfer departments is often negative. There are some groups who
generate a steady income by selling software, databases, etc. But generally
academics do not by default create viable business models.

> What's the point of this story? Two that I wanted to make:
>
> - first, a NC licence does not exclude uses of the work that might be
> classed as commercial. It just means you have to ask and agree the terms.
> Many content providers will be willing to agree (but clearly not all).
> Unfortunately this process is not automatable.

This is only true if the content provider is a sole person and the creator
of the licence. If they have been passed it by some other author they have
no right to change the terms of the licence. Thus if a person deposits a
thesis in an IR under a NC licence the repository cannot remove the
restriction without consulting the author. For multi author works this is
usually impossible.

And, as you say, it's non-automatable which is the key problem. It
generates huge amounts of time loss and energy loss.

> - second, locking material away under any kind of licence designed to earn
> money does not mean that it will actually do so. In other words, CC-NC
> often does not add much to your financial sustainability.

It would be interesting to know of cases where NC has actually generated
income for the author. I would be amazed if this had happened in scholarly
publishing.

> Over the years I have come to favour the simpler CC-BY licence, and that
> is what I use on my blog (and hereby apply to this post) and require from
> my blog commenters. But I do have the luxury of not supporting myself
> directly from my writing.

Authors of most scholarly articles are also in that category in respect of
those articles.

I think this is universally true in science

If an author chooses to publish an article CC-NC outside scholpub I have no
concern
If they are in scholpub and choose to then they have a case to answer

But the most serious case is where the author is forced to accept CC-NC by
the publisher for reasons that benefit the publisher not the author.

P.