[open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Mon Dec 12 15:27:29 UTC 2011

hi Egon,

You have raised some very good points, thank you for your contribution
to the discussion.

Some thoughts:

Allowing commercial use for untenured scholars is a splendid idea. CC
licenses I would like to see explored:

Commercial use for the 99%
Commercial use for socially responsible companies and individual
entrepreneurs
Commercial use EXCEPT companies that lobby for more restrictive
copyright laws
Free use for students and teachers (this should not be called
commercial use, because education should not be commercial - the fact
that we are heading in this direction does not make it a good direction)
Free and unrestricted use, with respect. If you wish to use data about
an endangered species to protect the species, go for it. On the other
hand, if you wish to use the data to harm the species, we should be
able to sue. Not just the author, either - anyone.

There are many open movements, and many different types of scholarly
research and disciplines. I don't believe there is a one-size-fits all
for licensing purposes.  For example, in many jurisdictions data has
not been copyrightable, and I think most of us would agree that it is
not in the interests of science to go this way.

With research data, I am all for the most open we can possibly be. In
many areas, this means post the data on the web in a way that it can
easily by manipulated by people or machines, with either no
restrictions at all or minimal licensing. In the case of personal
health data, this may mean having a server with a dedicated cable in a
secure building within a cage, where researchers need to go through
security procedures to get to the computer. I'm not making this up, by
the way. If we want researchers to have access to this kind of data,
we need to find a way to make this possible without compromising
patient privacy.

cheers,

Heather Morrison