[open-science] Licence, Ownership and Copyright in scholarly publishing

koltzenburg at w4w.net koltzenburg at w4w.net
Wed Dec 14 07:09:21 UTC 2011

brilliant question, I think, Peter

let me try to contribute by showing what we do (OA journal "Cellular Therapy and
Transplantation" http://www.ctt-journal.com)

together with our article acceptance notice we send author teams the following (plus
a three-step how-to re cc licences which seems to work well - except with a few
Western authors who seem to have difficulties imagining this new freedom...)

-->
This is the CTT Author License

Authors who publish with CTT retain copyright of their articles (© The Authors).

Authors grant CTT a non-exclusive right to publish the final version of the work
that has undergone both the CTT review as well as the CTT Production Office's
editing procedure. We recommend that Authors provide their articles under a
Creative Commons license of their choice.

By agreeing to have the final version published, Authors declare that, in their
contribution, rights of third parties have not been infringed on anywhere in the
document, including tables and graphics.

The published article may, on publication by CTT, be put on the authors' websites or
in any open repository. In such cases, we ask Authors to reference the publication
of their article in CTT (including the doi) accordingly.

(CTT Author Licende version as of 20 March 2008)
<--

hope this helps

cheers
Claudia
~~~
C. Koltzenburg, Managing editor
Cellular Therapy and Transplantation, http://www.ctt-journal.com
<managingeditor at ctt-journal.com>
~~~

----

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:48:11 +0000, Peter Murray-Rust wrote
> I have (what I hope is) a clearly formulated question and I'd like authoritative
answers. Please don't offer guesses or logical solutions.

> In a scholarly publication we can, in principle, identify some interested parties:
> * the author/s of the publication
> * the owner of the intellectual property
> * the copyright holder
> * the licensor
>
> I can imagine cases where all four are different, e.g.
> * me
> * my employer
> * someone I have transferred the copyright to
> * someone who publishes a journal
>
> I am particularly interested in who licences the publication as this is the legal
entity that may challenge someone's use of the material. Is it always clear? Where
it is clear is it always the publisher?