[open-science] Licence, Ownership and Copyright in scholarly publishing

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Wed Dec 14 16:49:26 UTC 2011

The concept of "intellectual property" is a recent invention, and a concept that should be challenged moreso than clarified, for example through the counter-concept of the commons. See some of the works by Lessig, Boyle, Vaidhyanathan, Ostrom, Bollier, among others.

SFU recognizes intellectual property rights as belonging to the scholar, a good model in my opinion which others should emulate. Adopting a Harvard-style mandate can help us to move in this direction, from my perspective.

To summarize, I don't think we should be pinning down intellectual property rights at this point in time, but rather opening up discussion about whether this is a useful concept at all, and if so, how it should be defined.

In Latourian terms, much as we love our black boxes that conceal so much of the world's complexity for us, it is not time to close this particular black box just yet.

Best,

Heather Morrison