[open-science] Making science more accountable and efficient

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sat Feb 12 19:56:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I just subscribed to the list, so please forgive me if you discussed a
similar topic already earlier.

I'm regularly doing reviews for journals and conferences in computer
science and I notice, that still many papers describe approaches and/or
systems, but the underlying software and data is not (publicly)
available. From my point of view this substantially hinders
reproducability, reusability, and peer-reviewing of scientific results
and thus efficiency and accountability of science in general.

I know there are the Panton Principles, but I think (although its good
to have them) they are too strict to be applied in the general case for
the following reasons:

1. its not only about data, also algorithms and their implementations in
terms of software need to be made available

2. sometimes it is acceptable to have this data, algorithms, software be
releases publicly, but not under an open license.

I imagine some kind of manifesto, which stresses the importance of
making scientific artifacts (i.e. data, software, models etc.)
available, maybe in different gradations similar to the LOD start badges
[1]. The gradations could be:

0. The scientific artifacts underlying a scientific publication are not
made available.

1. The scientific artifacts underlying a scientific publication are made
available in a limited way, which do not yet enable complete
reproducability.

2. All scientific artifacts underlying a scientific publication are made
available to the public, they enable complete reproducability but the
license they are made available under imposes restrictions potentially
limiting the reuse.

3. Data is published according to the panton principles and all software
underlying a scientific publication is made available under an
open-source compatible license.

Once such a manifesto with these gradations is produced, journals and
conferences can link to it and require submissions to classify
themselves according to these criteria (and maybe that precedence will
be given to more works).

Has someone of you seen something like this already? If not do you think
the creation of such a manifesto is useful and would you be interested
to work with me on that?

Have a nice Sunday everybody,

Sören

[1] http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/lod-badges/