[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Marius Kempe m.kempe at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 16:56:04 UTC 2011

Thanks for all the feedback. A few points:

Lance: I think the issue is to settle what the correct legal distribution
mechanism is for 'normal' or 'baseline' science; that is, studies which are
wholly publicly funded and do not involve sensitive data or data with
ethical ramifications. For these studies, I think the consensus is that all
of the restrictions except for the first, 'Attribution', depicted in your
diagram are inappropriate (at least for taxpayers of the country that funded
the research). There also seems to be consensus that for data generated from
these studies, Attribution should not be compelled legally (cf. the Panton
Principles). What I am proposing is that the texts describing the studies
themselves - ie. papers, articles - be treated the same way. Attribution can
and should still be compelled through traditional means - community
standards and norms, with censure, loss of tenure, etc, for offenders - as
Puneet pointed out, but, I suggest, not legally.

Angus and Claudia: According to Wikipedia, moral rights are not necessarily
always assigned; in various countries authors can agree not to enforce them
(some European countries) or waive them (Canada), and in some countries they
are not assigned unless the author 'asserts' them (eg. the UK) (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights_(copyright_law).

Angus: Yes, I am suggesting that it would be in the public interest for
researchers to give up their legal rights to attribution. The arguments are
set out in the Quora page, but they boil down to the fact that researchers
don't use those rights today (cf. the lack of copyright infringement
lawsuits by open science academics), that publicly funded science should be
a public 'good' subject to no restrictions, and that it would help with
future technical challenges in knowledge processing.

Puneer: I agree with almost everything you say, but I think it would be
optimal for the open science community to advocate one legal tool, rather
than many, both for interoperability and for simplicity in disseminating
open science practices. If the community chooses the public domain, I would
envision a website, say www.publicscience.org, that gave a rationale and
easy-to-follow instructions (eg. use CC0 on everything you do) for would-be
open scientists, similar to the Panton Principles but for all products of
scientific research (papers, code, etc) rather than just data.

Angus: I will post it on the JISC repositories list; thanks for the
suggestion. I'm interested to hear what they say.

Best wishes,
Marius