[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 17:29:50 UTC 2011

This is really exciting and I'd like to encapsulate some of this for
potential discussion on Monday.

I agree with what Marius says. For me CC-* is not as powerful as community
norms. The very fact of CC-* is that it has been published and the act of
making public is more powerful than legal mechanisms.

If I publish an idea in a paper and someone else rapidly does the
experiment  then the mores of that are giverned by community norms not the
llicence (it may be good or it may be bad). If a referee reads a manuscript
and then does the experiment that isn't protected by law but it's rightly
castigated by the community (though often undetected). CC-* ONLY protects
against lifting text and that is very easy to detect and can be dealt with
by better means.