[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Michael Nielsen mn at michaelnielsen.org
Wed Jan 12 18:25:36 UTC 2011

Hi Tania,

Thanks for the clarifications.  I'm not referring to FRPAA.  As least as
far back as 1995, I've frequently seen journals ask authors to transfer
copyright in their papers to the journal, UNLESS the author works for the
US Government.  In 1997 and 1998 I worked for the US Government, and it
was explained to me that the reason for the exemption was because those
works were in the public domain.  (An editor at a journal later confirmed
this explanation.)  However, I'm certainly not an expert on copyright, and
it's possible I misunderstood.

Michael