[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Marius Kempe m.kempe at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 23:12:52 UTC 2011

Thanks everyone for the input!

Michael has put the argument for using the public domain to avoid
attribution stacking problems far more eloquently than I could have.

Michael and Tania: I believe the law you are talking about it is USC Title
17 Section 105, which specifies that "Copyright protection under this title
is not available for any work of the United States Government" -
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/105.html - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._governmentfor
details.

Rufus, and all: Would you support a statement similar to the Panton
Principles but with a broader scope, directly addressing scientific text and
other communication mediums (audio/video of lectures, seminars) and pointing
to statements such as the Panton Principles, Open Biblio, and the Unlicense
for the other products of research? It seems to me that this would be very
helpful for the majority of scholars, who may have heard of open access
journals but haven't delved into the world of open science and the attendant
legal and technical issues; a clear statement and guidelines on why and how
to share scientific work, endorsed by the relevant organizations, might well
make them feel more comfortable 'opening up'.

Hence why I'm bringing up the public domain vs CC-BY - if the community
agrees that the public domain is as appropriate for writing as for data,
such a website should advise scientists to use the public domain in the
first instance and fall back on copyright licenses which meet the Open
Definition if they can't or won't use the public domain.

Best,
Marius

PS. I hope it's been clear that I use 'attribution' and 'citation' with the
same intended meanings as John Wilbanks outlined - attribution for the legal
requirement that is part of copyright and moral rights, and citation for the
non-legal standard of naming scholars when using or reproducing their work
or ideas.