[open-science] [okfn-discuss] Nice mention from the Wikimedia Foundation on open science

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 25 22:14:48 UTC 2011

Dear all,

this Wikimedian in Residence project has quite some overlap with other
OKFN activities, and I am certainly interested in coordinating our
respective actions.

Some ideas:
(1) WMF are currently working on an open access and open data policy (cf.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:WMF_support and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Committee/Areas_of_interest/Open-access_policy
). Feedback from the OA and open data communities would be very
welcome.

(2) WMF-produced data released according to this policy-to-be is to be
clearly labeled for reusability, and I think even an adoption of the
Panton Principles is not out of reach. However, there is currently no
Wikipedia entry on them, so any help with setting one up would be
welcome (I started http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Panton_Principles
last year, which could be imported, but starting from scratch may be
better). Once an entry is there in one language, expanding coverage to
other languages (especially those for which translations of the PP
already exist) should be straightforward.

(3) We could think of using a place like
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:OpenScientist/Panton_Papers
to draft the Panton Papers.

(4) WMF are testing data repositories and collecting reports on that.
Feel free to join in:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVqLVI0ZVBnX3kzUUxOVXFUYWJ0Y1E6MQ&ndplr=1
.

(5) The article about OKFN (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Knowledge_Foundation ) is currently
tagged for potential lack of notability, for sounding like an
advertisement, and for using keywords where phrases would be
appropriate. It is not recommended that OKFN advocates edit the
article directly, but one of my roles is to facilitate article
improvements despite potential conflicts of interest by those in the
know.

(6) What articles on open access, open data, open science and related
topics should the English Wikipedia have? I have started to sketch out
a list of such articles at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/Open_Knowledge_Foundation_Germany/Open_Access_Catalogue
but it needs a lot of expansion and brushing. Once that structure is
there, existing articles need to be assessed, and missing ones written
- coordinating this is one of my core roles within the project.

(7) The Signpost - apart from covering the project in its current
issue (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-07-25/Wikimedian_in_Residence_interview
) - has a new section on research related to Wikimedia, this week's
issue of which has a report on the Wikipedia & Research workshop at
OKCon (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-07-25/Recent_research
). I think that many other OKFN activities stand good chances to fit
in there as well.

(8) Another focus of the project is the re-use of suitably licensed
materials from open access/ open data/ open science sources on
Wikimedia projects. So if you see opportunities along these lines,
please use them and/ or let me know.

Thank you!

Daniel