[open-science] open science meetup in Boston/Cambridge

Yan Zhu zyan at mit.edu
Wed Jun 22 17:38:34 UTC 2011

Hi there!

I'm Yan, one of the founders of the open science student group at MIT. I've
been following this mailing list for a while now and thought it might be
useful for those of us in the Boston/Cambridge area to have a meetup, at
least so that those of us in the MIT group can get a better feel for what
people in the area are doing to support the goals of open science. We're
fairly new to the game and still trying to figure out what next semester
will look like in terms of our objectives, so it'd be helpful for us to make
connections to members of the okfn community.

Please let me know if you're interested in meeting for drinks or a quick
lunch, hopefully sometime within the next two weeks. Feel free to make
suggestions for a location.

A couple more words about the MIT Society for Open Science: We were started
this February and currently consist of about a dozen undergrad and grad
students. One of our main goals is to raise awareness for open science and
open knowledge among local college communities through organizing events
such as colloquium talks and conferences. We also have some interest in
creating software and web tools to facilitate scientific collaboration. To
date, our biggest achievement has been organizing a colloquium by the open
science advocate (and quantum computation researcher) Dr. Michael Nielsen
through the MIT Physics Department, scheduled for Sept. 22, 2011. You can
reach us through the mailing list open-science at mit.edu.

Cheers,
Yan

--
Yan Zhu
Department of Physics and PROBABLY NOT Mathematics