[open-science] Panton Principles Publicity

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 08:53:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> See below for a conversation Maria and I have been having regarding
> publicity for the Panton Principles (PP from here on in!). It started when I
> shared a poster design:
> http://tinyurl.com/6gj2e6v

I like this. The second "principles" could be omitted

> Since, some very interesting points have come up. As a quick summary for
> those who don't want to read the whole conversation:
>
> - Would a PP logo be a good thing to have? Should we have a design
> contest/request ideas and submission?
> - Peter came up with a tagline for a web banner of 'Open data means better
> science', could a question directly addressing the community be more
> engaging for the poster?
> - Would a design like this
> http://sunnibrown.com/2010/06/03/pbs-this-emotional-life/ be too childish?

I am open-minded on this. It should be the ONLY one - we will have enough
detractors without being labelled at the muesli-knitting brigade. So If it's
one of (say) 5 then it may well attract some people, but it will antagonize
others.

I DO like Professor Weasel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVdyprbjJo
and maybe this could be extended to Open Data.