[open-science] Organising an open data event at SWAT4LS Workshop (London, December 2011)

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:11:00 UTC 2011

Dear All

Some more info from Andrea, who is organising the conference. I sent him
brief details of our proposals. His ideas (full email further down):

I'm thinking about planning two days before the workshop. We already have
some tutorial proposed, but I think it would be good to have as well a more
informal "hackathon-like" space.
Just as an example:
we could have:
Wednesday: hackathons
Thursday: Tutorial + evening/discussion/panel on open data in science
Friday: Workshop, where some results from the hackathon can be presented in
the poster/demo session.
Last year the hackathon experience was capped to 20pp and it was
interesting, but a bit disorganized. It ended up being a big tutorial.
The problem with setting a topic too tightly is that participants may come
from different backgrounds and it's hard to find a common focus.
I can probably gather a few people interested in pathways information,
though.
Another option would be to have a more loose setting where we have some open
data/semantic web "clinics".
Yet another idea could be to have a tutorial on the use of CKAN technologies
for Life Sciences.

Would anyone be willing to join a Skype discussion about this if we can find
a time when Andrea is free? Peter, maybe you would be a good person to
discuss how to run a hackathon for people with diverse interests?

Jenny