[open-science] Workshop on "Open Government: Open Data, Open Source and Open Standards"

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Fri May 6 05:12:28 UTC 2011

## Open Government: Open Data,  Open Source and Open Standards

You are invited to attend a workshop titled [Open Government: Open Data,
Open Source and Open Standards][1] organized jointly by
[Dr. Hanif Rahemtulla][2], Horizon Digital Economy Research and
[Puneet Kishor][3], Creative Commons. The workshop will be held in conjunction
with the annual [Open Source GIS Conference][4], June 21, 2011, at the
[School of Geography/Centre for Geospatial Science][5], Univ. of Nottingham.

[1]: http://punkish.org/opengov/index.html
[2]: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/computerscience/people/Hanif.Rahemtulla
[3]: http://punkish.org
[4]: http://cgs.nottingham.ac.uk/~osgis11/os_home.html
[5]: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cgs/index.aspx

This workshop builds on the [Law and the GeoWeb][6] workshop held recently
at Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, and will bring together speakers from
industry, research and academia to contribute to some of the fundamental
theoretical and technical questions emerging in the Open Data space.

[6]: http://punkish.org/geoweb/index.html

The following speakers and topics have been confirmed:

*   Dr. Peter Mooney, Dept. of Computer Science, NUI Maynooth, Co. Kildare. Ireland
    > Producing and consuming open data

*   Professor David Martin, School of Geography, Univ. of Southampton
    > Mapping the UK population over time: a universe of new possibilities

*   Zach Beauvais, Talis
   > Linked data

*   Dr. Chris Parker and Ian Holt, Ordnance Survey
    > Tackling global challenges through open innovation & geographic information

*   Dr. Catherine Souch, Royal Geographical Society
   > The Open Data revolution and data literacy in higher education

*   Dr. Katleen Janssen, Interdisciplinary Centre for Law & ICT, Katholieke Univ., Belgium
    > Privacy and legal implications of open data

*   Prof. Derek McAuley, Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute, Univ. of Nottingham
   > Exercising our rights over information about us

## Contact

Please register for the workshop at the main [OSGIS web site][7].

[7]: http://osgis2011.wufoo.com/forms/third-open-source-gis-conference-osgis-2011/

For further info please contact either [Dr. Hanif Rahemtulla][8] or [Puneet Kishor][9].

[8]: mailto:hanif.rahemtulla at nottingham.ac.uk
[9]: mailto:punkish at creativecommons.org