[open-science] European Commission to adopt Open Data Strategy

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:18:32 UTC 2011

Hi all,

with interest I read the blog post and matching euralert... while
provisions like "[t]his Directive does not contain an obligation to
allow re-use of documents" (9) dampen my enthusiasm, it seems like a
good step forward.

Not being a lawyer and illiterate with the design of the EU in
general, I was wondering about this point:

"(10) The definitions of "public sector body" and "body governed by
public law" are taken from the public procurement Directives
(92/50/EEC(5), 93/36/EEC(6) and 93/37/EEC(7) and 98/4/EC(8)). Public
undertakings are not covered by these definitions."

What is included under this public sector to which the directive
applies? Particularly, does this include EU organizations that perform
research around health, toxicity, etc, such as ECHA? The use of terms
of "public sector", "public sector body", and "public undertaking" is
not helping me...

That above provision given, what does this directive mean for such
organizations? For example, is regulation around toxicity of chemicals
under REACH falling under this directive?

Looking forward to any and all information, thanks in advance,

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher