[open-science] [open-government] Scientific Access to Data and Information

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 9 20:07:11 UTC 2011

Paul,
I am very excited about this. I don't know whether I will be able to come.

As you may know I have had a long association with CODATA having been asked
to talk on 2 or more occasions. John Rumble and I have met many times. Also
we have published our ideas in CODATA's DataScience journal - with Jack
Smith's help .

Since then I have become even more involved in semantic scientific data and
developed the ideas in those papers (open markup languages). More recently
I have become heavily involved in the OKF and helping to promote the ideas
of Open Science (and open access to the fruits of scientific research). I
am becoming increasingly concerned that academia is a closed shop, looking
inwards and only publishing to themselves. *We need to take science out to
the whole world.*