[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Thu Oct 27 06:01:02 UTC 2011

Dear Peter,

I'm even more outraged after seeing the slides, than I was after
reading your blog posts.  Not only you show no data for assertion
"closed access means people die" (anecdotal evidence is not an
evidence - instead of formulating a hypothesis, you claim  "I don’t
think anyone can deny the truth of that conclusion."), but you imply
absolutely false connection between mortality rates in very poor
countries and lack of access to primary research literature.

This is very wrong. Majority of maternal mortality rate in Bangladesh
(see your last slide) is attributed to child marriage, lack of female
education and lack of skilled birth attendants. Access to scholarly
literature is absolutely irrelevant in such case. You'd need to
improve the standard of living and the quality of education first.

Please stop flashing images of poor people in your open foo talks.
You're harming the credibility of open science community.

PS

--
Paweł Szczęsny
http://www.pawelszczesny.org