[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Thu Oct 27 19:33:09 UTC 2011

Except that OA and OER are a bit different things. Here's quote from
Peter's email from January this year (first and last sentence,
please):

"Pragmatically I think we separate scholarly articles ("papers") from
other efforts such as Teaching/Learning materials, and theses.

Many of us in OKF want to see Open Theses but the ground rules are
different (the copyright is normally the student's) and the challenge
is with the universities to address this rather than primary and
secondary publishers. So just as important but a different type of
activity."

Let me explain again - I'm pointing out that it's very important to
pay attention to the messages this community is spreading.

OA (understood as open access to primary literature) is very
important, especially in developing countries, but if there's no
healthcare infrastructure to apply the cutting-edge knowledge, OA
becomes almost irrelevant in the healthcare (while being crucial in
research). Peter's claim is false (or at least unsupported by any data
in case of developed countries).

OER, which is somehow wider term because it might (but doesn't have
to) include scholarly articles as well, is a different process and a
means for knowledge dissemination. OER in principle saves lives,
there's no question about it.

Mixing OA and OER creates a problem. These are different processes,
they have different stakeholders, there are different streams of money
in them. And that's not my invention - this is what this community
have thought in one of the discussions almost a year ago.

When mixing OA and OER in the messages, this community risks being
ridiculed, because it appears that we have no idea what we are
fighting for. If the audience are scientists, we'll be ignored.

Additionally, some of us, like me, rely on the leverage of this
community because we don't have enough leverage on our own in our
local communities to push things forward. A bit of responsibility for
OKFN global image would a nice addition to keeping the messages
correct and clear.

I'm sorry, I cannot explain it any simpler than that.
If you still disagree with me, just discard the message and let's
forget the whole discussion.

PS