[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Iryna Kuchma iryna.kuchma at eifl.net
Thu Oct 27 20:44:54 UTC 2011

I have another quote from my colleague in Malawi - Kondwani Wella, College
Librarian, Kamuzu College of Nursing, University of Malawi: "Malawi has a
stock of research output in a variety of forms, including technical reports
and journal articles that could have influenced policy decisions and
stimulated further research. However, these documents are locked up in the
offices, libraries and resource centres of the country’s higher education
institutions. Consequently, important policy decisions have been made
without considering the available evidence. For example, Malawi has been
successful in combating the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Although reports of the
success stories are available, these have not been widely disseminated
within and outside the country. Lives may possibly be involved; for example,
the research on prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV in
Blantyre clinics could be equally valid in Lilongwe or Chiradzulu – if it
were accessible." I think his statement is relevant and is presented in the
context of what is going on in his country.