[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] maloneyc at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Fri Oct 28 15:59:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I had a reaction similar (though perhaps not as strong) to Pawel's when I saw this statement.

It seems to me that there are two somewhat (but not completely) independent issues:  1, is the statement correct and supported by evidence?, and 2, is it good PR?

My reaction, when I saw it, was that it is not really proveable, because it involves a counterfactual of huge proportions.  We can't know what the world would be like if all the literature right now were freely and openly available.  There are thousands, or even millions, of confounding factors.  The entire world would be a different place.  People would still be dying, but how to attribute the causes?  It's not enough to trot out anecdotal evidence of specific cases where closed access caused harm.  As Pawel mentioned, opponents could just as easily trot out evidence of open access causing harm.  That's a very strong argument, I think, and one that I hear all the time - about the need to control quality and reduce fraud.  I'm not saying I agree that it's right, but just that it's a powerful argument.

As for the PR point, I also agree with Pawel that it makes the open movement too easy to ridicule.  Take the climate change debate, for example.  Conservatives are so effective at destroying the message by ridiculing the messengers, that they have completely decimated any possibility for action.  Note that I'm emphatically not saying that it's the messengers' fault at all - but just that we should be very mindful of the effectiveness of these kinds of tactics.

Cheers!

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22