[open-science] Collaborative Citizen Science Hub?

Burcu Dogan burcujdogan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:43:56 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Due to the increasing interest in citizen science, a project hub/directory
is highly demanded. For now, we've thought of an open directory
and collaboration tool to share citizen science projects openly as open in
open source. Maybe, we can start up with open specs of our projects and
allow other users to be able to remake these tools and collaborate the
existing.

Projects should be in scientific context and could enable community to do
more science. An open spec of a radio telescope may be a good fit as a
project, since it's feasible and it's an enabler, for instance.

A cultural shift is already happening with science hack days, DIY bio and
genom communities. Trying to gather the tools and data from these discrete
organizations will be outstanding to show the existing momentum and attract
others.

I've started a wiki called makesci [1] (make for makers and sci for
science) and trying to build up a base community to understand the demands.
At the moment, I'm collecting project proposals to feature. If you have
any possibilities to contribute, could you please make a proposal on
http://bit.ly/HQWsXs?

I'm also looking forward to hear your thoughts on how citizen science
should move.

Regards,
Burcu Dogan
http://burcudogan.com