[open-science] feedback wanted on text-mining initiatives

Heather Piwowar hpiwowar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:15:08 UTC 2012

Hi Open Science,

There is growing interest in text-mining rights.  I'm in the middle of a
bit of it, and would love some feedback and community.

Briefly, due to a twitter conversation, Elsevier and I began to talk about
updating the subscription contract of the University of British Columbia to
explicitly include text-mining rights.  The rights Elsevier has agreed to
are more broad than they've agreed to with other institutions, as far as I
know (tell me if I'm wrong!), and more broad than those of most publishers.
 More information<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/elsevier-agrees/>
.

In the mean time, PMR and others are asserting text-mining rights and going
ahead.  This is another approach and I'm glad they are doing it.

I've drafted a short "text-mining
manifesto"<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/do-we-need-manifesto/>if
you will...  how researchers expect to be able to access and process
the
accessing the literature to which we have access.   How to improve this
statement, and what to do with it next?

As indicated by a recent stock analysis
report<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/new-fron/> on
Elsevier, the time for pressing ahead with this is NOW.   I happen to know
there is media attention in the wings.

Comments, suggestions, opinions, volunteers, etc.... let's dig in.

Heather

--
Heather Piwowar

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
  studying research data sharing and reuse
  remotely from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
http://researchremix.org
@researchremix <http://twitter.com/#!/researchremix>