[open-science] OKF tools: ckan.org, thedatahub.org

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Tue Apr 3 18:06:46 UTC 2012

hi tom,

perhaps rufus or someone else could clarify about the pricing, since it is
a bit confusing... my interpretation was that thedatahub.org is free, at
least for individuals? alternatively, if not, i think it would be worth
setting one up as a free service for this purpose, and managing it as a
community...

jessy

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> Jessy Kate Schingler Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:23:52 -0700 (rearranged)
> > is there a reason people find ckan/thedatahub insufficient for data
> > management needs?
>
> You're presupposing folks even know about these tools. (Never overlook
> ignorance as a cause of behavior :-) Before your post I hadn't seen
> either. I'm still generally ignorant regarding the OKF--being US-based
> probably doesn't help, but mostly I'm head-down in my work, coming up
> occasionally to "scratch itches," like, why am I cut'n' pasting so
> @#$%^&! much? (A: because I can't send OP links to content on my
> current wiki, because its firewall's admins are such a PITA.) What I
> know, and hence seems useful to me in this domain, are sites/tools
> like github, google, sourceforge (etc) which I've used.
>
> > is it related to technical/features, or to peoples' familiarity and
> > confidence around the longevity of the site?
>
> Regarding CKAN, it's probably
>
> http://ckan.org/solutions/pricing/
> >> FREE[:] Deploy your own community instance hosted on your servers.
>
> If I had my own servers, my life would be rather different. I might be
> more productive, but I don't have time to be an admin (famous last
> words). I would also hafta eat pet food to afford
>
> >> CKAN Catalogue[:] from $400 / €300 a month
>
> (which might also degrade my productivity, though maybe not :-)
>
> > i'm starting to learn about [thedatahub.org], it seems rather
> > perfect for data set management, and even has a change lists for
> > data sets, groups, user pages, etc.
>
> I'm unclear on the relationship between thedatahub.org and CKAN:
> instance to framework? If so, what is thedatahub.org's data store, and
> how is that priced?
>
> I suspect these tools would be quite attractive to folks with my needs
> but more $. Unfortunately, being presently near bottom of both the
> academic foodchain and the income distribution drives many decisions.
>
> FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

Jessy
http://jessykate.com