[open-science] Open Science for the 21st century

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 15:12:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> If you haven't already seen this declaration from ALLEA (ALL European
> Academies: The European Federation of National Academies of Sciences and
> Humanities) on Open Science for the 21st century, it is very positive and
> worth a quick read (it's only 3 pages)
>
> http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/allea-declaration-1.pdf
>
> It states:
> The Academies commit themselves to debate and promote practical
> applications of open science principles within their national arenas of
> activity, and to jointly advocate their adoption also in the international
> domain.
>
> Specifically:
> - The European Commission proposes that under “Horizon 2020”, the
> successor to FP7, all research results are to be made available
> and accessible for everyone.
>
> They also recommend:
> - Publications should be made openly available online, as soon and as
> freely as possible, as should also educational resources and software
> resulting from publicly funded research.
> - Scientists and their organisations should apply open sharing principles
> to the data that underpins such publications
> - Consequently, research proposals requesting public funds should include
> measures aimed at advancing open science and apply the above principles.
> - Academic assessment and reward systems should see merit in participation
> in the culture of sharing, in enabling online collaboration and
> reproducible e-science.
>
> We look forward to seeing strong action on the points raised in the
> document.

This was the meeting I was invited to in Rome and where I met Neelie Kroes
(and put in a plug for OKFN, which seems to have been unnecessary).
Basically she and others are moving the digital agenda ahead and it will
involve, in part, bottom up organisations like OKFN. There is still a lot
of confusion about green/gold/openAccess and I think we have to keep
plugging simple messages.

P.