[open-science] feedback wanted on text-mining initiatives

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 13:16:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Richard Kidd <KiddR at rsc.org> wrote:

> > > Among the things which we probably should not address are:
> > > * what can and cannot be mined and reproduced
>
> I would plead strongly for the 'what can be reproduced' bit of this to be
> subject to a more open discussion. It's one of the most important issues.
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation lists are open to anyone to read or
subscribe to and they are openly archived. I'm not clear how we could be
more open - it's our core business. We haven't hidden anything - in fact
it's part of the ethos that everything is done openly. There are times when
a small group of people work together at a preliminary stage and then offer
something but that is usually a question practicalities. Even then they
usually use an Open Etherpad.

P.