[open-science] github breaks data hosting: alternatives?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Dec 12 21:16:36 UTC 2012

On 12 December 2012 19:39, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
>> * Repositories that already have uploads will continue to list their
>>   downloads for the next 90 days (tack on /downloads to the end of any
>>   repository to see them).
>
>> * The Downloads API [will] be disabled in 90 days.
>
> So I'll need to migrate my inputs and outputs, or my projects entirely.
> Where to? Your suggestions are appreciated. Some options (numbered
> solely as they spring to mind) include

datahub.io (which is CKAN based) supports storing data and supports
uploading via the API (bulk data is actually stored in google storage
or s3 but datahub takes care of authentication etc). Data will be
separate from code but you can link to the code as a resource from the
datahub dataset.

Rufus

> 1. Bitbucket: also provides free public repos with a Downloads section,
>    like the github status quo ante. (IIUC) upload/download is not
>    scriptable; OTOH its wikis are much prettier than github's. So I'm
>    inclined to migrate my stuff there. Any compelling reasons not to?
>
> 2. Github recommends Amazon S3
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries
>
>    This has a "free tier" for up to 5 GB, which would cover me for now.
>    It would be more separate from the rest of the project (i.e., the
>    code repo) than currently, but that concern may just be purely
>    aesthetic.
>
> 3. Figshare provides free space <= 1 GB, also separate from the rest of
>    the project.
>
> So how would you migrate something like
>
> https://github.com/TomRoche/GEIA_to_NetCDF
>
> presuming you had no external funding (and not much internal funding :-)
> and wanted to keep the data close to the code? Note also that my field
> is atmospheric (rapidly becoming Earth-system) modeling, so bigger is
> definitely better when it comes to data-size limits.
>
> TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation