[open-science] [Open-access] February 25 is [[Copyright transfer agreement]] day

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:10:48 UTC 2012

On 26 February 2012 11:05, Daniel Mietchen
<daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Could it be that Alex didn't have the right to release the video under
> CC0 if it was produced using the Xtranormal software, even though he
> paid for using it?

Regrettably, it looks like that's the case. Note that it's not just
produced using Xtranormal software, it's produced using their
characters, scenes, animations, and voices. I imagine all those
elements are subject to copyright, so you only have what rights they
grant you:

"As a Commercial User, you are granted a limited, non-exclusive,
revocable, non-transferable right to create, display, use, play and
download Xtranormal Videos during the Term and within the Scope of
Use:..."

Clearly that grant isn't sufficient to release the result as CC0.

Thomas