[open-science] Data sharing policy for citizen science projects?

Raphael Ritz raphael.ritz at incf.org
Tue Jun 12 07:57:49 UTC 2012

On 6/12/12 9:46 AM, Paweł Szczęsny wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Diane Cabell<diane at cabell.us>  wrote:
>> Zero may also be enforceable outside of Poland.
>>
> That's true. But that is not a good _reason_ to choose Zero _here_,
> don't you think? Anyway, I don't have anything against Zero, except
> that I don't think it differs in practice that much from CC-BY. Both
> are good enough for data sharing.

For many use cases yes but for data mining, aggregation,
meta analyses and the like it can become tricky to keep
track who to acknowledge for what.

Don't get me wrong. In many cases there are good reasons
for CC-BY and making data available in the first place is always
better than not doing it at all irrespective of the particular license.
It's just worth pointing out that there are differences and
what those differences are.

Cheers,

     Raphael