[open-science] Share Alike? Or not?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 14 13:44:03 UTC 2012

On 14 June 2012 14:31, Diane Cabell <dc at icommons.org> wrote:
[...]
> Attribution stacking is a serious problem for those who are trying to mine
> large collections of data.  It can be difficult to track small bits that are
> pulled out from different sources.  The list of authors to attribute might
> be longer than the article itself.  Consider using CC Zero or ODbL for your
> data.

Has anyone actually ever found attribution stacking to be a problem? I
hear it said quite frequently that this *could* be a problem but it
seems to be me there are fairly easy ways to deal with "attribution
stacking" so don't think this is really an issue (for more detail on
why see these comments from a few years ago:
<http://blog.okfn.org/2009/02/09/comments-on-the-science-commons-protocol-for-implementing-open-access-data/>).

Also, as a minor aside, I assume you meant the PDDL (Public Domain
Dedication and License) rather than the ODbL in this context (ODbL =
Attribution / Share-Alike for data).

Rufus