[open-science] [SCHOLCOMM] Libre open access, copyright, patent law, and, other intellectual property matters

john wilbanks jtw at del-fi.org
Thu Mar 22 15:35:53 GMT 2012

I realize that I didn't make my point clear enough actually.

And I don't lump Heather in with Harnard. Heather asked a good question
that I answered obliquely. For that I apologize.

I do not just want the ability for academics to text mine. I want there
to be a robust market for text mining that includes companies who mine
open access content for their own reasons as well as academics, and I
want there to be a robust market of startups who provide those text
mining services (and thus must make and distribute copies of corpuses as
validation sets, as part of collaborations with academics that improve
algorithms, and who also produce and sell the outputs of text mining).
Right now text mining pretty much sucks, frankly, compared to what it
ought it be.

Non commercial licenses are not just a way to prevent other publishers
from reselling content, which is often the focus of the conversation,
but a tax on startups and companies who want to treat the literature as
data. Here's a short list of companies trying to do just that who are
being hamstrung by closed access, and who would be blocked under NC
terms: Personalized Medicine (providing auto-annotation of genotypes to
doctors' offices), Selventa (providing auto-created hypotheses
explaining high throughput experimental biological data), Ingenuity
(providing large databases of assertions specific to diseases or
tissues). Those three are simply the first ones that jump to mind in
startup land. There's ~20 more I know of, and many more that I don't.

The uncertainty around content chills venture investment, to boot. If
the web had been NC licensed, we would not have google, and pagerank
would have remained where it started as an academic theory experiment.
That would suck, in my opinion. And the big publishers know this, which
is precisely why they add clauses that ban mining to existing licenses
and want commercial restrictions. I don't think they're worried about
resale. I think they're worried about getting their lunch eaten by new
entrants who see the market differently, as Apple did with music, as
Google did to Microsoft (and in turn Facebook did to Google). That's why
Elsevier has an entire unit devoted to this stuff, run by extremely
smart people.

Then there's all of big pharma and biotech, who all maintain libraries
and subscriptions, but are often absent from these discussions because
of their position on patents.

Non commercial restrictions have *side effects* that are bad for
innovation and bad for science. We need entrepreneurs and not just
academics.

This is not nearly as much of a problem in the humanities on first
blush, but the reality is that as text mining gets better, faster,
cheaper, and more subtle in the hard sciences, it will bring amazing
tools to the humanities as well.

jtw

--
------