[open-science] [Open-access] Hargreaves Report - urgent call for help with draftresponse

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 16:06:42 UTC 2012

My timescale is roughly (I would appreciate help on some areas)
* draft a set of principles and protocol before the weekend. (Elsevier have
asked me for a telcom to discuss my textmining requirements. I replied that
my requirements were the same as everyone else's and that I would make the
results of the conversation Open. I offered them 2200 today but I suspect
that's too early. So I'll have a base by Sunday.
* Mail all the reps of publishers by Sunday evening announcing what we are
doing and inviting comments. Invite them to join the list. NOTE: This is
NOT a negotiation. This is a clarification or our rights and a request to
the publishers to agree them or to publicly disagree. I am NOT giving up
any territory.
* announce that we want their comments by <date>. My guess is that
2012-03-14 is a good date. If they are well-intentioned they can easily
answer YES. If they huff and pff then they aren't trying. After all they
set the conditions and they can remove them

* in parallel draft our submission
* collate the responses into the submission.

NOTE: The submissions will be further edited by Ben Hawes at IPO. He is
required to be objective. The intention is that the responses will be read
by the public and also by legislators. The legislators can change many
things without legislation. Legislation is heavier and will take a long
time but may be necessary.

NOTE: It is Europe who imposes NC on textmining. Nonetheless it is worth
making the cases for CC-BY

NOTE: I am meeting Neelie Kroes (Digital Economy, Europe) next month, I hope