[open-science] [Open-access] [okfn-discuss] Open Data Handbook v1.0

Sridhar Gutam gutam2000 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:38:20 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I am doing advocacy on Open Access in my organization (Indian Council of
Agricultural Research, India) and I also see lots of data being collected
by various scientists involved in research projects. Only a part of the
data goes into publication and rest is left un-touched for any of the
analysis!!

Now the challenge is how to get that data locked up in Data Books/Computers
to see the light and would be used for meaningful analysis!!!

I see a big hurdle in this... none of the researcher wants to share the
data (raw data) and what is published is in pdf/print formats. Collating is
very big problem.

In this month at Bangalore, India on March 24th there is going to be a one
day unconference on Open Data <http://odc.datameet.org/>. I am going to
place the same before the group how to get the Research Data out into
Open/LinkedOpenData.

I can share the view of the Scientists in Agriculture Research as myself
being a Scientist working in Agriculture Research Service in India
(ICAR-ARS).

Please comment.

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar
Sridhar Gutam PhD, ARS, PG Dip Patent Laws (NALSAR), IP & Biotechnology
(WIPO)
Senior Scientist (Plant Physiology) & Joint Secretary, ARSSF
Central Institute for Subtropical Horticulture (CISH)
Rehmankhera, P.O.Kakori, Lucknow 227107, Uttar Pradesh, India
Fax: +91-522-2841025, Phone: +91-522-2841022/23/24; Mobile:+91-9005760036

CISH http://www.cishlko.org
ARSSF http://www.arssf.co.nr
My site http://www.gutam.co.nr
My Publications http://works.bepress.com/sridhar_gutam/