[open-science] The Scientific Evolution: Open Science and the Future of Publishing

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 16:15:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> On 12 March 2012 16:01, Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Benjamin Simon

Simon Benjamin

> replied to my inquiry and said that CC BY-NC-SA is
> > Oxford University policy.
>
> <hate class="pet">
> "X is Y's policy" is not an answer.
>
> Never has been, never will be.
> </hate>

My guess is that most academic rights policies were made by people who
didn't understand and/or think about the issues at the time and find it
more trouble than it's worth to them to change them. It's very tedious to
have to keep fighting this lot but we have to. There is also a tradition in
academia of re-invention and reinventing the same wrong solution.