[open-science] the early-career guide to doing open science?

Stacy Konkiel stacy.konkiel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:43:06 UTC 2012

Puneet, That's a great point re: general IRs. Too often, the things
that scientists need out of a repository are too specific to their
field for most IRs at universities to find sense in implementing them.

What if an existing IR were to receive a grant (to get that
all-important funding) and work with scientists to build special tools
that would serve needs specific to your field but would fit onto an
existing platform (ePrints or DSpace, the two main open source
platforms in use)? The outcome would be a module that would work with
any repository running those platforms. To play devil's advocate,
though: should we be making plugins for decentralized repositories
when most scientists seem to find use in subject repositories?

What if such a uni IR had a particularly robust _subject
sub-community_ that anyone could upload to, and that included tools
that were useful to researchers in that subject area (imagine the
possibilities if our platform had the search, browse, data viz, etc
capabilities that Geologists needed --
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/448)?

Just thinking aloud, mostly. Sorry to have taken this discussion
slightly off-topic, but I find it more useful to talk out these issues
with (open) scientists rather than librarians. I'm also keen to raise
awareness of the possibilities if scientists partner with libraries
towards a common goal.

- Stacy