[open-science] the early-career guide to doing open science?

Hahnel, Mark J m.hahnel07 at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 17:56:43 UTC 2012

Hi All, apologies if you get this twice, it bounced back from the diybio list originally,

Bryan, I'm Mark I set up http://figshare.com. Figshare allows you to make all of your research outputs available in a citable manner with persistent identifiers and usage metrics as well as 1GB of private staging space for free.

I set it up when I was having a similar problem looking for somewhere to host videos I wanted to include in my PhD thesis and to put my negative data somewhere other than my labbook. Understandably the title confuses people but we can accomodate, spreadsheets, code, media etc

We allow pretty much any filetype to be uploaded and shared and we are looking to visualise as many filetypes as possible in the coming months. There is also version control on the public data which we are working on improving as we speak, as well as an api which we will be testing in the next 2 weeks.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns around the project. Feel free to email me privately if you want to discuss things off the lists.

Thanks a lot,

Mark