[open-science] [SCHOLCOMM] Libre open access, copyright, patent law, and, other intellectual property matters

Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Wed Mar 21 15:56:33 UTC 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Heather Morrison wrote:

> Puneet, this could be an interesting case study. Would you care to share the details?

Not at this time, partly because there aren't any juicy details to share that would shed more light on the issue any more than I have already described, and partly because I might have to go into the witness protection program.

> Even so, this would be a single case study. Scholars study a very great many things, in different circumstances. The technologies and norms for sharing that make sense for one scholarly community or project will not necessarily be optimal for another community or project.

There are very few cases where sharing doesn't make sense, particularly in publicly funded science, and most of them are well-documented (national security, and privacy & security of subjects). This ain't any either one of those.

Suffice it to say -- it is not the evil publishers to be blamed always. Most of the times the enemy is us, the supposedly enlightened ones.