[open-science] [SCHOLCOMM] Libre open access, copyright, patent law, and, other intellectual property matters

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:19:38 UTC 2012

Puneet

only partially following this thread however,
your reasoning is acceptable only if the open data set can
be meaningfully queried when published, and it is publishing using a logic
designed to deliver value

 If the open data is dumped in a messy state on the web, nobody can get any
value from it, without being a programmer or knowing what to do with it or
without paying for a third party to make sense of it

> 3. And, finally, the original is still available for free for anyone to
> use, so no one has been cordoned off from anything.

Not if the original is 'not usable'  in the first place, (lots of issues to
drill around usability of data) without technical skills, and if the only
usability can be derived from the paying for a third party service -

PDM

PDM