[open-science] [SCHOLCOMM] Libre open access, copyright, patent law, and, other intellectual property matters

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:38:42 UTC 2012

> If my original data weren't usable, and you took it, cleaned it up, and
> offered it for a price, I would be doubly stupid to stop you from doing
> that.

the point here, without a minimum standard requirement for
usability/usefulness of open data, public authorities can publish
rubbish datasets, all paid with public money, and be proud of it (which is
what we are seeing right now)

I am not trying to stop anyone make the data more useful, but I am trying
to stop public administrations making publishing open data
that is not useful at all to anyone  in the first place, and then boasting
that they are avant garde

Appropriate design considerations should be made

> If I were smart, I would get inspired by your work and either entice you
> to join me, or try to make my original data even better so folks would
> continue to come to my source.

this is such an ego centric stance, I am very very cautios when someone
insists I depend on their private service to make sense  and use of public
data set (red flag here). It looks like your motive here is not the public
good, but to show how smart your are.