[open-science] Libre open access, copyright, patent law, and, other intellectual property matters

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 18:39:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM, drllau <drlawrencelau at gmail.com> wrote:

> How might this work out for science publishing ... if you own huge
> publishing libraries, allow temporary borrowing on say 4 hr max. Data
> miners could use this to collect say aggregate stats but relinquish any
> copies after that 4hr period.

They won't allow that, because they know someone would just torrent it
immediately. There are ways to detect and remove watermarks. I don't think
they'd go for that. DeepDyve is not really a solution... they just post up
images of all their papers, and then charge you per-paper accessed anyway.
But on top of that, they go ahead and make it into an image (rather than a
file with words), which makes it even more useless without OCR or
something. blah

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507