[open-science] Publishing and copyright licences: academics opt to keep control | News | Times Higher Education

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 5 18:00:12 UTC 2013

Perhaps these examples will help non-academics to understand:

If we want good research done on the public's perception of the performance of banks with respect to the 2008 fiscal crisis, who should conduct the research? Academics or government staffers with a primary loyalty to uncovering truth and serving the public, or the banks most responsible for causing the crisis in the first place?

How about a survey on public perceptions of oil industry performance and the environment? Should British Petroleum, Exxon or Enbridge conduct the survey?

best,

Heather