[open-science] Publishing and copyright licences: academics opt to keep control | News | Times Higher Education

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Mon Apr 8 18:20:24 UTC 2013

Tom,

I am not suggesting muzzling any studies. You might note that I'm writing a series of blogposts on the Taylor & Francis survey, here:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2013/03/taylor-francis-open-access-survey.html

The basic principle of the need for independent inquiry remains. I have no doubt that the corporate sector is best qualified to conduct market research to determine how to best serve their customers and maximize their profits. We can completely trust Google with research on how to make the most profits for Google - they're obviously very good at this. However, research about public policies that could impact Google is best handled by a researcher who does not report to Google.

A few posts back, I asked if you could tell us a bit about who you are and what your interest in this discussion is. Do you work for a publishing company, hold stock in a publishing company, etc.?  If you're not at liberty to provide exact details, some general information would be helpful. To properly interpret what someone says, it is important to know who they are.

Dr. Heather Morrison
Professional librarian & academic (adjunct  - library & information studies / sessional - communication)
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com