[open-science] Science Crowd Funding

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 17:34:27 UTC 2013

If you go to the site http://www.opensciencespace.com/
you will find a very large amount of information including a pointer to
http://blogs.nature.com/naturejobs/2012/10/25/who-gets-funded-you-decide
which reports in great detail

<quote>Erik Cox, founder of a project called The Open Science
Space<http://www.opensciencespace.com/>which hopes to make science
more transparent, is currently raising funds to
launch a crowdfunding site dedicated to science-based projects. We asked
him to explain what open funding is all about, and how it can benefit
science.

“TRADITIONALLY finance for research is accessible to scientists through
quite limited channels such as research councils. The grant application
process can be long and laborious, and can often end in rejection or
require lengthy modification. It is also a process which goes unseen by the
public who only get to know about individual research when a mainstream
media outlet picks up on a story. ...

</quote>