[open-science] [Open-access] Data expedition idea - scholarly publishing income

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 12:38:58 UTC 2013

Hi All

Apologies for not following this up for a while. If anyone else is
interested in getting involved and wants to sign up, please do at
http://pad.okfn.org/p/scholarly-publishers-data-expedition

*So far :*

Michelle and Juan have offered to coordinate and Ross and Abby are keen to
take so I think we have enough people to go ahead!

Bjoern - I think at this stage a data expedition would be more finding out
what data we can get and then we can bring the economists on board so if
you would still be happy to help coordinate that would be fantastic!

It may end up being a somewhat futile exercise as we're dealing with
corporations and not public bodies so getting hold of account breakdowns
will be challenging.

As was pointed out to me the other day and I hadn't explicitly mentioned,
scholarly publishing is only a part of the activities of many of the major
publishers so splitting apart profit for journals, academic books and
monographs (let alone teasing those items apart) may simply be impossible
if the companies themselves won't supply us with the data. It would be
informative to see what is out there though and start compiling what we do
know.

*Next steps: *

   - If you would like to help in any capacity please sign up on the pad
   http://pad.okfn.org/p/scholarly-publishers-data-expedition as soon as
   convenient.
   - Coordinators can then introduce themselves to each other in the next
   week or so and get an initial call arranged or at least split off the
   mailing list for in-depth discussion about how to proceed and what we
   should aim to accomplish.
   - Updates will be sent to the main mailing list so don't worry if you
   can't sign up right now but think you might be able to assist in the future.

We can review the sign ups in a week and get started with some more
detailed planning! This idea is still very much open to comments and
criticism and again, if you know any friendly economists or data
journalists who might be keen to get on board do point them in our
direction!

Jenny