[open-science] [Open-access] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 09:54:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Bjoern Brembs <b.brembs at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Repositories must become the first (and eventually only) way to get
> scientific literature: global search for all scientific literature from
> 1664 to today.

Yes. I have tried to get this idea across  to the conventional repository
community with little success. There should be only one (or at best a few)
entry points. I have suggested a repository for all UK funded Open output
including papers, theses and data. That in itself is technically too
limiting but it can catch the political imagination.(Some countries such as
NL (SURF) do this much better).

> - New (OA) literature needs to be harvested automatically, not deposited
> by author by hand.
>
> Absolutely. That is why I am starting this week to index the current OA
output on a daily basis.

> This is the future we should have had 10-20 years ago...

Yes. 1995 would have been the time to start - 2 years after the WWW took
off, when most of the web was open and based on public institutions. It's
also the time at which we should have seen innovative approaches to
publishing. Now we have to break free of the quagmire of academic
aspirations.