[open-science] [Open-access] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 16:16:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> If we built this, do you think there is any possibility of getting
> traction with people to say things like:
>
> 1. "If you want to find scholarly material, THIS is where to look"

I would change that to "This is HOW to look" - on the basis that there may
be multiple sites

> 2. "If you want to deposit scholarly material, THIS is where you do it"

Or HOW you do it.

Q2 is mainly predicated on scholars and their organisations. Q1 reaches out
to the whole world.

> Whilst relying on universities or similar community structures may be the
> way of the past, it is still where most people are

No. It's not where most patients are, where most SMEs are, where most
policy-markers are ...

> - and most people care only about accessing what they need; thus point 1
> is easier, but point 2 will be polluted by the local community an
> individual is part of.

Wikipedia addresses Q1. It addresses Q2 on the basis that the information
can be found. Neitehr of those currently resides in Universities to a
significant amount.

> How do we overcome that localised impetus to "do it some other way"?
>
> ??

> If enough people believe we can overcome this and are willing to be
> involved in doing so, then I am willing to build and maintain the thing
> (and others, of course, would help me).

Thanks!! That is my commitment as well. It's not the first time we have
rasied this, but the first is not always the one that survives.

This would be something to discuss at OR14 - a new global archive of all
> available scholarly content (pre-populated with everything we can find and
> regularly crawl for in all other archives), and an initiative to get people
> to start using it across the world.

Yes. The idea was strong at BeyondThePDF2. It's an idea whose time has
arrived (I think).

And we can do it in stages - starting with high-quality, valuable, Open
material.